Safeguarding at Potters Gate
‘Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education’ (DCSF) came into force a few years ago as part of the Every Child Matters agenda.
For the purposes of the guidance, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined as:
- protecting children from maltreatment;
- preventing impairment of children’s health or development;
- ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care;
- undertaking that role so as to enable those children to have optimum life chances and to enter adulthood successfully.
This definition makes it clear that safeguarding is not just about protecting children from deliberate harm. It includes issues such as:
- children’s health and safety
- racist abuse
- meeting the needs of children with medical conditions
- providing first aid
- drug and substance misuse
- site security.